Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Stay-at-home dad article

I came across this article today and I thought it captured my feelings about being a stay-at-home dad well.  My favorite quote of the article is, "The hours are the pits and the pay stinks, but it's hard to complain about getting to spend time with your kids every day."

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/05/14/stay-home-dad-cory-byrom?hpt=hp_t2

The title of the article"Don't Call me Mr. Mom" isn't really discussed in the article.  From my own experience, there are plenty of people that call me Mr. Mom after I tell them I am a stay-at-home dad.  While I understand what they are saying and understand how the author of this article may take offense to being called that, it doesn't bother me much. 

If anything it just strikes me as inaccurate versus insulting.  People rarely mean harm with the comment (at least from my dense perspective).  It is inaccurate because they have a mom, a great mom.  Just because she has a full time job it doesn't mean that she is any less of a mom or needs to have some "Mr" do the "mom" work in the house. 

As for me, the job title of simply Dad is more than enough.

1 comment:

  1. What an fantastic perspective you have, Paul! You are "Awesome Dad."

    ReplyDelete